Move over, Hamburger Helper. There’s a new meal in town, and it’s quick, easy, and delicious. Blackstone shrimp fried rice is the perfect weeknight dinner when you’re short on time or energy. And best of all, you can make it on your backyard grill!
Just fire up your Blackstone griddle and follow these simple steps for Hibachi shrimp fried rice. Within minutes, you’ll have a tasty dinner that the whole family will love.
Here is Why This Recipe Works
- Pre-cooked, cold rice keeps the rice from getting mushy and gives fried rice the right texture.
- The high heat of a Blackstone griddle gives the rice grains the texture of restaurant-style fried rice.
- Adding the shrimp at the end prevents them from overcooking and keeps them tender and juicy.
If you love this recipe, try our Blackstone chicken fried rice. You might even want to make an extra-large batch of the sauce for the fried rice. That will make it quick and easy to have fried rice any night of the week. Just toss in some leftover flank steak or air fryer chicken, bacon, and some frozen veggies.
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to make Blackstone shrimp fried rice. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
- Shrimp. You can use frozen or fresh. Make sure you devein and peel the shrimp.
- Rice. Day-old rice works best because it has a chance to dry out. See our tips below if you want to use fresh rice.
- Vegetables. You can use fresh or frozen veggies. Cut the fresh veggies into bite-size pieces.
- Bacon. Bacon adds FLAVOR to the dish.
- Onions. We toss the onion on the Blackstone with the bacon to cook it in the bacon grease. So good!
- Eggs. Scrambled eggs get mixed into the rice and if you like topping your rice with a fried egg, grab a few extra.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic gives the rice the best flavor, but you can use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Ginger. Fresh ginger mellows as it cooks and adds a spicy, sweet flavor.
- Green onions. Sliced green onions get added just before serving.
- Fried rice sauce. The sauce includes soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin (or Shaoxing wine), toasted sesame oil, and sugar.
The secret to good fried rice is the perfect balance of flavors. You can use any blend of vegetables you have on hand but don’t get too crazy. This meal is shrimp-fried rice, not fried vegetables.
If you want more vegetables, try our air fryer green beans or air fryer asparagus and serve them on the side. But honestly, this meal is filling enough, and if it were up to me, I would save those extra veggies for tomorrow night’s dinner with a grilled chuck roast or beef short ribs.
How to Make Shrimp Fried Rice on the Blackstone
Here is a brief overview of the recipe so you can see how easy it is to make fried rice on the Blackstone. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
- Preheat the Blackstone griddle with two heat zones. One side on low heat and the other side on high. While the Blackstone heats up, combine the ingredients for the fried rice sauce.
- Cook the bacon and onions, then add the veggies. Slide the mixture to the low heat side.
- Spread the rice out on the hot grill and get it hot and crispy. Stir in the sauce, then slide the rice to the cooler zone.
- Cook the scrambled eggs and slide them to the side.
- Add the shrimp to the Blackstone and cook them just until they turn pinkish.
- Slide all the ingredients from the cooler zone over to the hot zone with the shrimp. Mix everything together.
If you want to make this a chicken and shrimp fried rice on the Blackstone, use half the amount of shrimp called for in the ingredient list and add one raw chicken thigh or chicken breast. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and place them on the Blackstone 1 or 2 minutes before adding the shrimp. That will give the chicken a head start since it takes longer to cook than the shrimp. If you want to add pre-cooked chicken like our air fryer chicken tenders, add it last, so it doesn’t overcook and get dry.
Tips for Success
- Save time by purchasing shrimp that is already peeled and deveined.
- Purchase medium to large shrimp for best results. Small shrimp tend to overcook easily.
- Cook the shrimp last so they don’t overcook while you prep the other ingredients.
- Shrimp cook quickly. You only need 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. If you overcook the shrimp, they will get tough and rubbery.
- Prep all the ingredients in advance and line them up next to the Blackstone grill. This will help you cook the fried rice quickly and prevent any of the ingredients from overcooking while they stay warm on the side of the grill.
- If you don’t have leftover rice and you want to use fresh rice, dry the rice out first. Spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven at 200°F for 10 to 15 minutes then cool it down in the fridge.
How to Thaw Frozen Shrimp
Frozen shrimp is excellent in this fried rice recipe, but you must thaw it first. There are three ways you can thaw the shrimp:
- Overnight thaw
- Fast thaw
- Rapid thaw
Simply place the bag of frozen shrimp in the fridge overnight. The next day, dump the shrimp in a colander to drain the liquid.
Place the unopened bag of frozen shrimp in a bowl of cold water for 45 minutes (1 hour for jumbo and colossal shrimp). Make sure the bag stays completely submerged in the water. Then, transfer the shrimp to a colander to drain the liquid.
Open the bag of shrimp and place them in a bowl. Cover the shrimp with cold water for 15 minutes. Stir the shrimp occasionally and remove them from the water as soon as they thaw.
Don’t let the shrimp soak in the water once they thaw, and don’t use warm water, or the texture of the shrimp will change.
Better Than Takeout
This shrimp fried rice has perfectly cooked, crisp grains of rice, thanks to the high heat from the Blackstone griddle. Tender, juicy shrimp, and colorful vegetables make this a full meal deal. It’s everything you love about Chinese takeout but without the added sugars and with extra homemade love! So give it a try for dinner tonight.
Tools and Equipment
If you click on some of the following affiliate links and buy something, we might get a small commission. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on and our bellies full!
What else is cooking?
If you have extra shrimp, you should make our tequila lime grilled shrimp. They make a great appetizer or main course dinner, and it’s easy to prepare them for a large gathering.
Do you desire a delectable dipping sauce for your shrimp? Then try out this chipotle lime crema, which is full of awesomeness! The chipotle and adobo sauce has a wonderful taste, and the lime goes well with seafood.
Now that it’s time for dessert, why not give these air fryer chocolate cupcakes a try? You can make a small batch of cupcakes in the air fryer, and they come out perfectly tender and moist.
CONNECT WITH A LICENSE TO GRILL!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts.
Did you make this recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Tell me what you think!
Did you try out this recipe? Please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it. Also, snap a picture and post it to your favorite social platform. Be sure to tag me at @alicensetogrill and let me know how you liked it!
Fried Rice Sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Fried Rice
- 5 strips of bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups diced veggies, frozen or fresh*
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups cooked, cold rice
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 pounds of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 6 fried eggs to serve over the fried rice
- Fire up the Blackstone griddle. Adjust the heat so that one side of the griddle is hot and the other is medium heat.
- Combine the ingredients for the fried rice sauce in a small bowl.
- Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces. Throw the bacon on the hot side of the Blackstone and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the diced onions to the bacon and cook them together until the bacon is cooked and the onions are translucent.
- Add the vegetables, garlic, and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes. If you are using frozen vegetables, cook them until the water has evaporated. If you are using fresh vegetables, cook them until they are tender. Then, push the vegetable and bacon mixture over to the cooler side of the Blackstone.
- Put down a drizzle of oil on the hot side of the griddle. Add the rice and toss it in the oil so that it is coated. This will help the rice to crisp up. Next, add the rice sauce to the rice and mix it thoroughly.
- Use your spatula to spread the rice out in a thin layer on the griddle. Allow the rice to cook for 5-10 minutes undisturbed. The rice should start to brown and develop a nice crust on the bottom. Once it achieves the desired level of crispiness, push it over the cooler side of the Blackstone with the vegetable mixture.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the hot side of the Blackstone griddle and pour on the scrambled eggs and stir them until fully cooked. Push the cooked eggs over to the cooler side of the griddle.
- Pour some oil on the hot side of the griddle and add the peeled and deveined shrimp. Cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Slide the rice, vegetables, and eggs from the cooler side of the Blackstone towards the shrimp and mix to combine the ingredients. Stir in the green onions and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the fried rice to plates and top it with an optional fried egg. Serve and enjoy!
- Pour the rice sauce over the rice in increments so that you can taste-test the flavor along the way. Adjust the amount of sauce as you go so that you don't overpower the rice.
- Make an extra-large batch of rice sauce and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Now you can have fried rice on demand when the craving hits!
- Spread the rice out in a thin layer on the Blackstone. Be sure to use plenty of oil or butter. This will help you to achieve that perfect crispy texture to the rice.
- Cook the meat last. If you cook the meat too early, it could overcook while preparing the rest of the fried rice.
- Use larger shrimp. Smaller shrimp are easy to overcook and are more likely to turn rubbery and chewy.
- If you use frozen shrimp, thaw them overnight in the fridge. If you need to thaw them quickly, soak the unopened bag of shrimp in cold water for 1 hour. If you need to thaw the shrimp immediately, open the bag of shrimp and soak them in cold water for 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 421mgSodium: 1890mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.