This air fryer asparagus recipe is the best way to cook asparagus. It is incredibly quick and easy but you won’t believe how amazing it tastes. After tossing them in seasoning, the asparagus gets topped with parmesan and crunchy Panko breadcrumbs. It makes an unforgettable vegetable side dish.
The air fryer makes it really quick and easy to get dinner on the table. By the time the main course is finished cooking, you can pop the veggies in the air fryer.
While your smoked turkey breast is resting, these asparagus will only take 10 minutes. The timing is perfect. The asparagus will be finished cooking just when it is time to slice into the turkey breast.
Air fryer asparagus with a crispy parmesan crust:
The thin tips of the asparagus and the Panko and parmesan crust get crisp in the air fryer. The texture and flavor are unbelievably delicious and it is the perfect side dish for any meal.
Gather the ingredients:
Here is what you need
- Fresh asparagus. Choose thick or thin asparagus. Thicker asparagus will take longer to cook.
- Olive oil. You could also use another type of cooking oil.
- Onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. This makes a quick seasoning blend that adds layers of flavor.
- Parmesan cheese. Use pre-grated or grate it yourself.
- Panko bread crumbs. Panko crumbs will give you more ‘crunch’.
Expert tips to prepare asparagus
The ends of asparagus are tough, woody, and fibrous. If you hold the asparagus near the bottom half of the stalk and bend it, the asparagus will snap right where the tough part ends.
After you snap off the first stalk of asparagus, arrange the rest of them in a line and slice them in the same area that the first one broke.
If you have really thick asparagus then the outer skin can get tough. If that happens then you can use a vegetable peeler to peel off the lower portion of the asparagus skin.
How to make air fryer asparagus:
- Toss the asparagus in olive oil until it has a light coat of oil.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over the asparagus and toss them around so the seasoning is well distributed.
- Line the asparagus up inside the air fryer basket then sprinkle the parmesan and bread crumbs on top. Drizzle a bit more oil over the crumbs.
- Cook until the asparagus is tender and the bread crumbs are light golden brown.
Tips for success:
- Thicker asparagus will need a little more time.
- Extremely thin asparagus may require less time, watch it closely.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. If you use a small air fryer, cook the asparagus in 2 batches.
- Different brands of air fryers will cook at slightly different rates. Check the asparagus for doneness and adjust the time as necessary.
- Use our brand new air fryer calculator to convert other recipes that call for an oven so you can use your air fryer!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow Savor the Best on their social media accounts.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Coat the asparagus with olive oil then toss it with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and bread crumbs on top of the asparagus and drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of lemon juice if desired.
Cook time will vary depending on how thick your asparagus is.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.