These air fryer apple fritters are laced with apples, cinnamon spice, and everything nice. The recipe is from scratch but very easy to make. You don’t need yeast because these fritters come together like a quick bread or muffin recipe.
You can make these with sweet or tart apples to suit your taste, then top them with a tangy apple cider glaze to bring out more apple flavor. You’re going to love how fast and easy it is to make this air fryer apple fritter dessert!
Can you fry fritters in the air fryer?
Of course, you can! Didn’t the photo above prove it to you already!? You get bonus points for this dessert since you don’t have to fry in a big vat of grease. Skip the extra calories and the mess by making apple fritters in the air fryer.
What is an apple fritter?
An apple fritter is a type of pastry dough, like a donut, that is mixed with chopped apples then deep-fried in hot oil. Once they are finished cooking, they are then glazed with sweet, sugary icing. They are basically a type of apple donut and my favorite!
You can make apple fritters with yeast dough or with an easy, quick leavened dough. I’m giving you a recipe for the latter so you don’t have to wait for the yeast to rise. If you can whip up brownies or banana bread then you can make these fritters.
Just because apple fritters have fruit in them doesn’t make them healthy. But we are making a slightly healthier version of these fried apple donuts by using the air fryer.
Not only does the air fryer give these fritters a healthier spin, but you also don’t have to turn on your oven or waist a gallon of oil. Baking from scratch has never been easier. Just like these air fryer chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, the air fryer will deliver some amazing desserts.
What goes in air fryer apple fritters?
- Apples. Two large apples are all you need.
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour, not self-rising flour.
- Sugar. Regular old fashioned granulated sugar.
- Baking powder. This is the leavener that helps the dough rise quickly.
- Salt. Regular table salt.
- Spices. This recipe uses cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Apple cider. You can use apple juice as well.
- Eggs. The eggs help with moisture, structure, and texture.
- Butter. The butter helps give them a tender texture and great flavor.
- Vanilla. Just a splash of vanilla makes a big difference with the flavor.
When the fritters are finished cooking in the air fryer, they get coated in an apple cider glaze that gives them an extra boost of apple flavor.
Best apples for apple fritters:
You can use your favorite eating apple in this recipe. We used Granny Smith apples because we love the tart flavor, but you can use a sweeter apple if you like. Try out some Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples if you want more sweet and less tart.
The important thing is to make sure they are crisp and fresh. The apples will seep out some moisture into the dough and can make your fritters soggy. We took a tip from Cooks Country to prevent soggy fritters. Just dry the chopped apples in a kitchen towel before you add them to the dough.
How long will apple fritters keep?
Like any baked good, these fritters will dry out in just a few days. If you keep them in an airtight container they can last for 5 to 7 days. The longer you store them, the dryer they will get. If you pop them in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, it will soften them up a bit. You could also stick them back in the air fryer for about 30 seconds before eating them.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
If you are new to air fryers, or maybe a bit uncertain about what you can use it for, check out our post to see how to use an air fryer and learn all the tips and tricks.
If you want to add some extra flavor to your air fryer apple fritters then I have a delicious suggestion. Cook up some air fryer bacon then chop it up and fold it into the batter along with the apples. BACON goes with everything! Even dessert.
These no-bake pumpkin cheesecake parfaits make a delicious single-portion dessert.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow Savor the Best on their social media accounts.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 large apples
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Apple Cider Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Peel and core the apples. Chop into 1/4 inch pieces. Spread the apple pieces out on a kitchen towel and pat the moisture off.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl. Stir the apples into the flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk the apple cider, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F. Place a piece of parchment paper or a silicone mat down into the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop 3 to 4 dollops of fritter dough into the air fryer.
- Spray the tops of the fritters with oil. Cook for 6 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, apple cider, and spices together until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the apple fritters. Let sit for 10 minutes until the glaze sets.
Amount Per Serving Calories 221Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 33mgSodium 288mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.