Sure, BBQ is delicious, but it isn’t awesome until you have a killer sauce to serve up with the meat, and this chipotle lime crema is EVERYTHING you need! I swear once you taste some flank steak or fajitas with this chipotle lime crema dolloped on, you will be keeping this recipe on hand.
I am almost always disappointed with store-bought sauces, they are boring and usually too sweet or lacking flavor. This chipotle lime crema recipe is anything but boring or flavorless and I use it on everything including sandwiches, nachos, pulled pork… the list goes on!
This crema has so much flavor. It is spicy, but not overwhelming. The sour cream and avocado give it such an incredibly silky texture. And how can you have a Mexican sauce without lime? It gives it such a great, playful tang.
Ingredients to make this delicious crema
- Sour cream
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Lime juice
- Lime zest
How to make crema
- Add the sour cream, avocado, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, salt, and lemon juice to the food processor.
- Turn the food processor on for about one minute or until the crema is a smooth and even consistency.
- Turn off the food processor and scrape the sides of it with a spatula. Taste the crema and add more salt if needed. Add the zest from one lime.
- Turn the processor on for another 20-30 seconds to ensure there are no chunks left behind.
- Transfer the crema to a mason jar or a squeeze bottle and store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
What is Mexican crema?
Ok, so technically, this recipe isn’t a traditional Mexican crema since we are using sour cream. Mexican crema is similar to sour cream, although, it is usually not quite as thick and it has a bit more tang to it. In this recipe, we are making a quick crema with sour cream by adding lime juice to get a bit of extra tang and to lower the viscosity to get a runnier crema.
A traditional Mexican crema will require you to culture your a cream and buttermilk mixture on your countertop for as long as 48 hours. This is a project for another day, however, because I am hungry and I want this chipotle lime crema now!
What else is grilling?
Do you have any left over brisket which needs to be put to use? Then you have to try this smoked brisket chili! it is my absolute favorite thing to eat on a cold evening next to a fire with friends! Sometimes, I will smoke an entire packer brisket just so I can make this chili.
Well, sometimes I also need to use my air fryer because the grill is full. So in this case it isn’t what is grilling, but rather, what is air frying? WELL, this air fryer banana bundt cake is SOOOO delicious!
Tell me what you think!
Did you try out this recipe? If so, snap a picture and post it to your favorite social platform. Be sure to tag me at @alicensetogrill and let me know how you liked it!
CONNECT WITH A LICENSE TO GRILL!
Be sure to follow me on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below!
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 7oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- lime zest
- Add all of the ingredients in your food processor and puree it until smooth and homogenous.
- Transfer the chipotle lime crema to a sealable container or a condiment squeeze bottle and store in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
After mixing all of the ingredients in the food processor, be sure to pause and scrape down the sides and turn it on again to ensure that there are no chunks left behind.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.