The air fryer is AMAZING, so why not use it to make the moistest and most insanely delicious banana bundt cake you have ever had?! The cream cheese frosting is just what this cake needed to make it the perfect dessert.
I have to be honest, I was a bit skeptical to bake a cake in the air fryer. I mean, why not just use the oven? But I was blown away at how this turned out. The outside of the cake was done just right, not crumbly but just ever so slightly crispy and the inside super moist *mind blown*.
Why bake a cake in the air fryer?
- It is faster! Baking in the air fryer is about 20% faster.
- Quick warmup time. Since the air fryer is smaller than a conventional oven, it warms up very quickly.
- Crispy yet tender. The outside of the cake has a wonderfully light and crispy texture to it and the inside remains super moist.
- Perfect Size. No need to bake a giant cake for just a couple of people. The air fryer makes a great size cake to devour in one night!
- Ease of mind. You can really set it and forget it! Once the timer is done, check the doneness.
How to bake a cake in the air fryer
This air fryer banana bundt cake is very simple and doesn’t require you to dirty up a bunch of dishes.
Make the wet portion of the batter. Mash the bananas and add the other wet ingredients. Be sure to really mash the banana so that you have a smooth cake batter.
Sift the dry ingredients over the mashed bananas. Pro tip: sifting the dry ingredients when making a cake ensures that they are well mixed and that there will not be any dry clumps when bitting into your cake.
Pour the batter into a small bundt cake pan, one that fits in your air fryer! If you do not have a small bundt cake pan, you can use any other pan that fits in the tray of your air fryer. You can also use cupcake baking cups.
Place the bundt cake pan in the air fryer and cook for 14 minutes at 320°F. Rotate the cake 180° in the air fryer and bake for another 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of the cake. Pro tip: rotating the cake halfway through ensures that it cooks evenly, just in case you have any hot spots in the air fryer.
Let the cake cool on a cooling rack while you make the frosting.
For the frosting, mix together cream cheese and butter until you have a smooth texture. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar until they are well combined. Lastly, whisk in the cream until you get the desired texture. I prefer a frosting that has a lower viscosity and runs off the side of the cake a bit.
Once the cake is cool, drizzle the frosting onto the cake. Dig in and enjoy!
Ingredients for banana cake
- Vegetable oil (experiment with coconut oil for a different flavor!)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
How to make a moist cake
This cake is so moist because of the oil. Some cake recipes will call for butter because it gives a buttery flavor, but generally, they won’t be as moist. If you want a delicious, moist cake, then stick with oil. The oil prevents the cake from becoming crumbly and allows for a more lofty cake when it is baked.
Add some flavor and zing to your frosting!
I enjoy experimenting and trying different flavors. If you want to put a spin on this recipe, you can add some cool flavors to the frosting to step up your cake game! Try out these modifications to the frosting recipe, you may need to adjust how much cream you add to the frosting. For instance, if you add 1 tbsp of bourbon you will want to use adjust from 2 tbsp of cream to 1 tbsp.
- Bourbon! The vanilla and caramel aromatics in bourbon go very well with banana cake.
- Coffee. I am a sucker for coffee. Add some freshly pulled espresso, or you can even mix in a pack of Starbucks Via instant coffee. A more concentrated coffee flavor will work better so you don’t add too much liquid and have a very thin frosting.
- Liquors. If you are not a fan of bourbon, then try some liquor in the frosting. Kahlúa or Baileys would be delicious!
What else is cooking?
Since we are on the topics of cakes, try out this wacky chocolate cake! It is actually an adapted recipe inspired by my wife’s grandmother. It is incredibly easy to bake with ingredients you already have in your pantry. You can also bake this in the air fryer, just follow the cooking times listed in this banana bundt cake recipe.
I love a good chili. This smoked brisket chili is incredible and has huge chunks of smoked brisket in it! For a unique twist on a classic, there is coffee added which brings an earthy flavor to the chili.
Tell me what you think!
Did you try out this recipe? If so, snap a picture and post it to your favorite social platform. Be sure to tag me at @alicensetogrill and let me know how you liked it!
CONNECT WITH A LICENSE TO GRILL!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below!
For the cake
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream cheese icing
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
For the cake:
- Mash the bananas in a bowl. Stir in the egg. Combine the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the banana mixture. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Pour into the mini bundt pan.
- Set the air fryer to 320°F and bake the cake for 14 minutes.
- Rotate the bundt pan 180° and bake for another 14 to 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of the cake.
- If the cake looks like it is getting too brown, place a sheet of aluminum foil on top to prevent it from browning too much.
- Let the cake cool in the bundt pan for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
For the icing:
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 7 to 10 seconds then stir and microwave for another 7 to 10 seconds.
- Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the cream to get a consistency that drizzles off the whisk. Add more cream if you want the icing to be thinner. Use less cream if you like a thicker consistency.
- When the cake is completely cool, drizzle the icing over the cake and serve.
- If you don't have a sifter for the dry ingredients, whisk them in a separate bowl with a fork or whisk then combine them with the wet ingredients.
- Make sure you do not over-stir the batter when you blend the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. If you stir too vigorously, you will develop the gluten and the cake will not be as tender.
- Different models of air fryers will bake at different rates. Start at the lowest time recommended in the recipe. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 34mgSodium 262mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.